It’s just not Christmas without Brunkager. Traditional Danish spiced cookies, Brunkager are thin and crunchy. Topped with almonds and filled with cinnamon and cloves, these cookies are traditionally eaten throughout December.
Brunkager, Danish Brown Cookies
1/2 cup molasses
5 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons salted butter
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
grated zest from 1 lemon
40 blanched almonds
1. Place molasses, sugar and butter in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Do not boil.
2. Once the sugar has dissolved remove from heat to cool.
3. Place flour, baking soda, spices and zest in a bowl with a mixer.
4. Pour in the molasses mixture into your mixer bowl and mix for 3 minutes.
5. Wrap the dough in plastic and let it rest in the fridge for 2 hours.
6. Pre-Heat oven to 400F.
7. Roll out the dough thin in a little flour and cut out small round cookies using a round cookie cutter. Can also use a glass.
8. Place on a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
9. Press an almond sliver into each cookie and bake for 5 - 7 minutes.
10. Cookies will be soft and will crisp as they cool. Store in an airtight tin.