Great West Newspaper freelance writer Daniel Schiff shows off this tasty, Asian-inspired vegetarian soup--quick and easy to whip together after a day's work.
Fast Udon Soup with Tofu and Greens
Serves: 4 Time: 10 minutes
· 5 ounces (2 bundles) whole grain Udon noodles
· 6 cups low-sodium beef, chicken or vegetable broth
· 1 (14.0-ounce) package firm tofu, drained and diced
· 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
· 1/2 bunch leafy greens such as kale, collards or Swiss chard, tough stems and ribs removed, leaves sliced (about 6 loosely packed cups)
· 5 green onions, thinly sliced
· 1 teaspoon hot chili sesame oil, plus more for serving
· Optional: peanuts
In a large pot, bring broth to a boil.
Add greens, noodles and salt, and cook until greens and noodles are just tender, about 6 minutes.
Add tofu and cook until just heated through, about 1 minute, then add green onions and oil. Serve with more oil on the side.
Optional: Grill the peanuts over low heat in a pan until browned then crush on a cutting board into small pieces