World Egg Day celebrates the nutritionally-packed powerhouse that is the egg. During COVID-19, the sale of most grocery staples, eggs included, took a big jump. That's music to the ears of Canada's 1,100 egg farmers (and the hens!) who produce in the range of eight billion eggs each year on farms across the country. And talk about economical! A dozen eggs costs less than a latte at your favourite coffee shop, so there's great bang for the buck too. Here's a few facts, courtesy of eggfarmers.ca that you may not know about this, one of Canada's favourite forms of protein!
1) Eggs are nutritional champs- Two eggs have 13 grams of high-quality protein and 14 essential vitamins and minerals, including Vitamins A, D and Iron.
2) Why are egg yolks different colours? - Pale yellow yolks mean the hen is eating a wheat-based diet; darker yellow yolks mean corn or alfalfa is on the menu.
3) Is there a difference between white and brown eggs? - No. The colour of egg is determined by the breed of hen. A brown feathered-bird usually produces a brown egg; white feathers = white eggs.
4) Why are eggs different sizes? - Egg size is related to the age of the hen. As she gets older, a hen lays larger eggs.
5) You can stop the green/grey ring from forming around the yolk in a hard-boiled egg by rapidly cooling the eggs once they're done cooking.
By Chef Dale MacKay
Serves: 4 as a snack
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
½ ripe avocado
¼ tsp ground cumin
1 ½ tsp lime juice
2 Tbsp mayo
1/8 tsp salt (or to taste)
½ Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1/8 tsp smoked paprika
Place eggs in the bottom of a pot so they all lay flat. Cover with water 2 inches above the eggs. Place on medium-high heat. Once it comes to a soft boil, cover and lower heat for 1 minute. After a minute, remove from heat and let sit for 14 minutes. Place under cold water and let run for 1 minute.
Peel eggs and cut them in half lengthwise. Carefully remove the yolks and place them in a medium sized bowl with all other ingredients besides the paprika and cilantro. Whip ingredients together with a whisk until the mixture is a smooth consistency. Put mix in a piping bag with a star tip or a tip of your choice.
Pipe mixture into your 8 egg white halves. Dust with paprika and cilantro. Serve after you build them.