1) Coffee cocktails - If dad has been cooking for everyone else during lockdown, he may appreciate a dad's day cocktail--all the more exciting if he's a coffee lover. Melitta offers a recipe for a cold brew concentrate (60 grams ground coffee and 500 ml cold water) that needs a few hours in the fridge. Once strained through a filter, it's good to go. For a twist on a rum and coke cocktail for dad, mix the cold brew with rum, lime, cola and a couple spoons of brown sugar, served over ice. See melitta.ca for more recipes.
2) Calgary's 17th Ave Retail and Entertainment District - From a shave, haircut and the works at Magnum Barbershop, to an eggs benny Father's Day brunch at Universe Restaurant (dining room is open), there's no shortage of whatever your dear old dad's heart may desire in this bustling area of the city. Check out Trolley 5 for apparel and gift ideas, cocktails and local craft brews too. The company's brewpub to doorstep pickup and home delivery program makes options for dad even more convenient.
3) Reunite the Italian Community - June 21, 2 p.m. MT. This one hour interactive special is an online gathering of the cast and crew of the movie Road to the Lemon Grove. Think music, laughter, joy and healing through sharing stories around the table. Those who donate (to the Red Cross) will receive a copy of the movie, but all who take part are sure to enjoy the virtual 'passegatta Italiana' as guests share stories of surviving COVID-19. Reserve a free ticket at roadtothelemongrove.com
4) Barbecue lunch to go - Fairmont Hotel Macdonald - June 21, 1-6 p.m. Treat dad to a fully prepared barbecue lunch or dinner from Chef Mridul Bhatt and the team at the Mac. Whether the snack size pack ($60 for 2) of beef jerkey, chips, scones, beer nuts and hot sauce, or the barbecue meal to go at $50 per person (slaw, chicken, ribs or brisket, mac n cheese, corn on the cob, sticky date pudding, among the choices), dad is going to be well-fed. Call the hotel at 780-424-5181 to place your order.
5) Man Pack - Italian Centre Shop
Looking to spoil a special Dad? The Italian Centre Shop's Father's Day Man Pack is filled with big bold flavours, spicy heat and lotsa meat! For $100, there's rib eye and New York steaks, sausages, nuts, foil-wrapped potatoes, sauces, fresh bread, chips and more--everything dad might need to make an awesome barbecue feast. Quantities are limited so act fast. Pre-order online only, for pickup June 19th or later. See italiancentre.ca