What should you look for when touring a potential new home? Amica Senior Lifestyles, with two facilities in Calgary, offers these questions to ask when touring a seniors' residence.
1) What's the availability for a suite (time frame?)
2) What types of suites do you offer? Average size? Does it include a kitchenette?
3) What is included in the monthly rent? Are meals available/required to purchase?
4) Does the building have amenities most important to you--i.e. pool, private dining room, guest suites?
5) Is there scheduled transportation or shuttle service?
6) If my health changes and I need assistance with daily living or memory care, will I have to move?
7) When was the residence built? Most recent renovation?
8) Do you have smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and sprinklers in every suite? How often do you practice fire drills?
9) Is there underground resident parking? Is guest parking available? is there a fee for parking?
10) Do you allow pets? Can I have pets visit me?