Bison Meatloaf with Cranberry Barbecue Glaze
MAKES 6 servings
TAKES 30 minutes’ active time +60 minutes’ baking time
RATING All levels
This recipe comes from my friend Cindy Lazarenko, who is a Métis chef. Cindy’s one of my favourite people to cook with because she has a wonderful taste memory and knows how to put flavours together: in this case, the essential umami of Alberta bison and the sweet-tart mix of cranberries, mustard, barbecue sauce, and birch or maple syrup. Enjoy with Forest Mushroom Barley Salad or Shades of Green Salad. This also makes fabulous meatloaf sandwiches if you have any left over.
WHAT YOU NEED TO GATHER
8 × 8-inch baking pan
Measuring cups and spoons
For the meatloaf
2 lb ground bison
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, grated
½ medium onion, finely chopped
½ cup bread crumbs
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
For the glaze
½ cup highbush cranberry sauce (or regular cranberry sauce)
¼ cup Alberta-made barbecue sauce
2 Tablespoon maple syrup or birch syrup
2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
For the meatloaf
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and oil or grease a loaf pan.
- Mix the bison, garlic, carrot, onion, bread crumbs, sage, thyme, salt, pepper, eggs, oil, and Worcestershire together in a bowl using your hands. Form the mixture into a loaf and place in the prepared pan.
For the glaze and to bake
- Mix the cranberry sauce, barbecue sauce, syrup, and mustard together in a bowl.
- Spread half the glaze over the top of the meatloaf. Reserve the other half to serve on the side with your meal.
- Bake until the internal temperature reaches 160°F, about 1 hour.
- Let the meatloaf rest in the pan for about 10 minutes before slicing.