With fewer tools at your disposal than typically found in your kitchen, camping invites you to be more creative when you cook. It’s easy to fall into the routine of making the same simple recipes for your whole camping trip, so why not pull out your camping stove and elevate the traditional s’mores to a treat everyone will remember for years to come? You can even try this recipe at home in your own kitchen – it’s a great activity to involve the whole family.
S’mores French Toast Sandwiches
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 French bread loaf
- ½ cup (125 ml) hazelnut-chocolate spread
- 8 regular-sized marshmallows
- 4 graham crackers (1 sheet)
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) half-and-half
- ½ teaspoon (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup (250 ml) pure maple syrup (optional)
- Heat stove to medium-high (about 375°F to 400°F/190°C to 200°C) or fit a grilling grate over the direct heat of glowing embers.
- Cut the bread loaf diagonally into eight ½ to ¾ inch-thick (1- to 2 cm-thick) slices. Spread one side of each bread slice with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) hazelnut-chocolate spread.
- Top four slices of bread with two marshmallows and one graham cracker. Cover with the remaining bread slices, hazelnut-chocolate spread side down.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half and cinnamon.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil on the camping stove or grilling grate.
- Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture, coating both sides.
- Add two sandwiches to the hot oil in the skillet and cook until the bread is golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Adjust the heat to prevent excessive browning, if necessary.
- Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and two sandwiches. Serve with maple syrup, if desired.
Learn more recipes you can make with simply a camping stove at colemancanada.ca.