The Operating Grant for Indigenous-led Organizations currently has $500,000 in available funding for eligible Indigenous-led, not-for-profit organizations in the city. City Council approved funding for the operating grant, which is offered under the Community Safety and Well-Being (CSWB) Strategy, in support of the Reconciliation Pillar.
In a news release, the City said the goal of the CSWB Strategy is to create a more inclusive and compassionate city by supporting initiatives that work to improve equity, end poverty, eliminate racism, progress toward truth and reconciliation, foster safe and inclusive spaces, increase crime prevention and crisis intervention or boost the overall well-being of Edmontonians.
The Operating Grant for Indigenous-led Organizations will help support these groups in their efforts to achieve the following:
- Promote the resurgence of Indigenous Peoples’ cultures, languages, identities, and ceremonies.
- Ensure safe, inclusive, and healing spaces.
- Increase awareness and/or address responses to historical colonialism, trauma, and violence.
- Provide education, training, employment, and economic security for Indigenous Peoples.
- Support learning and advancing research.
The deadline for applications is Wednesday, October 11, 2023 by 11:59 pm.