William Shatner spoke with Alberta Prime Times about upcoming documentaries, his trip into space and more. See the full article at albertaprimetimes.com next month. In the meantime, here's a few things you probably didn't know about everyone's favourite space captain.
1) Shatner has an ever-growing list of audio recordings, featuring dramatic recitations of interesting (and unusual) songs. These include The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins, Diana Ross' Do You Know Where You're Going To, and Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.
2) Known mostly for dramatic roles, William Shatner knows how to have fun, and make fun of himself too. The Shat-man appeared in a comic travel series in 2016-2018 called 'Better Late Than Never', along with other elderly celebrities (George Foreman, Henry Winkler included) on a tour of East Asia.
3) Even though he lives in California, Shatner remains a Canadian citizen. He comes to Canada often (he was at a Comic-con event in Edmonton last fall) to promote books and such, but also because he grew up in Quebec, along with his two sisters (both still alive). The 91-year-old spoke French quite well as a youngster, he notes, and still holds his Canadian passport. He's had a U.S. Green Card for decades!
4) One of Shatner's other passions in life is horses. Not only does he own horses, he rides and has won competitions with his favourite of all animals. "The are more than animals, they are magnificent, sentient beings--dogs are too," said Shatner, whose horse farm works with the Central Kentucky Riding for Hope "Horses for Heroes" program, among many other charitable causes.
5) Not many can claim to have a star on both the Hollywood Walk of Fame and Canada's Walk of Fame, but this guy can.
6) Space...the final frontier. At 90, William Shatner became the oldest person to go into space when he journeyed onto Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin space shuttle. The nonagenarian called the experience transformative and life-changing.
7) Shatner has been married four times, (you may remember his third wife died of an accidental drowning in the family pool) and he has three daughters. He's a grandpa too, with a three-month-old grandson, Sebastian.