Skip to content

LETTER: Careless cooking causes fires

Kitchen fires a leading cause of fire in the home. Never leave cooking unattended.
fireprevention
Kitchen fires are a leading cause of fire in the home. Never leave cooking unattended. Photo: Metro Creative Connection

Chris Zdeb's article 'Fire Safety Month: Caution in the Kitchen' (October 2020) is most timely. Capt. Carol Henke, Public Information Officer with the Calgary Fire Department, has stated that unattended cooking, careless disposal of cigarettes and smoking materials, and careless use of open flames (candles) are the leading causes of fire in residences.

I live in an apartment and have for over five years. All but two of the fire alerts requiring attendance by the fire department were due to careless cooking. Perhaps the fire department should fine careless cooks. It is stupidity to leave food cooking unattended and possibly burn down the kitchen.

Heather Dawn Green

Calgary, AB





Comments