The Airdrie Fire Department responded to a call where they found a woman unconscious in her home due to carbon monoxide poisoning on Tuesday.
According to Airdrie Fire Chief Mike Pirie, who reported the incident on his Facebook page, this morning at 7:22 a.m.Ladder 89 responding out of the Chinook Winds Station went to a report of an adult female found unconscious in her home. When crews arrived they found dangerous levels of carbon monoxide (CO) which had overcome both the occupant and her dog. This was a town home complex and there were a total five units that contained high levels of CO. She was immediately removed for EMS to provide treatment and was unconscious at the time.
Pirie does not report on the woman's current condition in his Facebook post.
Pirie went on to encourge Airdronians to be more aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide in homes.
"Although I do not know the exact cause at the time of this post what we do know is that no CO alarm was active," he stated. "Please as you change your smoke alarm batteries or check your hardwired alarms consider the importance of having a working CO alarm in your home. Vehicles in the garage, furnaces, chimney's, hot water tanks, and gas stoves /dryers are all sources of CO that can effect our homes or businesses."